Cepheid has developed an automated molecular test for the qualitative detection of SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19. The test leverages the design principles of Cepheid current Xpert® Xpress Flu/RSV cartridge technology, in which multiple regions of the viral genome are targeted. The test can provide rapid detection of the current pandemic coronavirus SARS-CoV-2 in approximately 45 minutes with less than a minute of hands on time to prepare the sample.
Xpert® Xpress SARS-CoV-2 can be utilized in multiple settings where actionable test results are needed to make informed treatment decisions quickly. The test delivers point-of-care results with the same level of performance seen in reference labs.
The test is designed for use on Cepheid’s GeneXpert® Systems, which have a worldwide footprint of more than 23,000 placements.
Editorial Disclaimer: information published during the 2020 COVID-19 pandemic may be updated frequently to reflect the dynamic nature of current understanding.
- Abbott launches COVID-19 antibody test
- Roche develops new COVID-19 antibody test
- Siemens developing new diagnostic for COVID-19
- Hologic’s molecular test for SARS-CoV-2 receives FDA Emergency Use Authorization
- Commercially available COVID-19 diagnostic tests